Posted: February 9, 2017
Google has given us a clear signal: Mobile is no longer optional. With Google officially testing its mobile-first index, it’s imperative now more than ever, that you create and optimize your hospital’s web presence for mobile devices. The search engine giant has been slowly making a transition to a mobile index and finally announced details back in November on their Webmaster Central Blog. With the new index, the algorithm will look first at a website’s mobile version for ranking and then look at desktop versions if there are no mobile ones to rank.
We’re in the midst of a new mobile era where health consumers interact in what Google describes as mobile micro-moments. It is important for healthcare organizations to become very, very good at capturing and engaging their target audience in these mobile micro-moments—that online decision-making moment when a prospect recognizes a need and goes online to gather information before making a decision or choosing a brand. Specific to healthcare, an example of a micro-moment of truth, might be someone being denied an airline ticket because of their size, leading that person to initiate research on bariatric surgery as a result.
Understanding mobile micro-moments in healthcare
The once linear customer journey has exploded into billions of critical micro-moments, whether they are I-want-to-know, -go, -do, or -buy, occurring in any order, at any time because every consumer is different. Healthcare marketers now need to look for mobile patterns, signals, and clues to maintain a competitive edge. Here is some data from Google’s “Micro-Moments: Your Guide to Winning the Shift to Mobile“:
- “I-want-to-know”: Over 51% of mobile users have discovered a new company or product when conducting a search on their smartphones. Action: Craft a solid paid and organic search strategy
- “I-want-to-go”: There has been a 2x increase in “near me” searches in the past year. Action: Think local marketing
- “I-want-to-do”: Searches related to “how to” on YouTube are growing 70% year over year. Action: Create engaging video content
Is your hospital’s website ready?
If you haven’t identified and optimized for the moments when your target audiences engage via mobile, then it’s time to build a path forward. Winning mobile moments that matter requires healthcare marketers to:
- Design and optimize a website for mobile-friendliness, including speed
- Know the correlation between the consumer and patient journeys
- Identify and differentiate mobile vs. desktop demand
- Understand different health consumer intent signals
- Produce mobile content that resonates on the small screen
- Optimize mobile pages to convert key micro-moments
- Track, measure, and continually compare mobile and desktop results
Healthcare marketers have always needed to have a comprehensive plan to reach, engage, and convert consumers in their most important micro-moments. But now, the stakes are higher. Understanding and optimizing mobile traffic, mobile engagement, mobile conversion, and mobile revenue is critical to developing a successful mobile-first strategy.
See how you stack up with your mobile strategy, request a free healthcare marketing assessment.